Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Eau d'Hadrien


Valdorcia, paesaggio., originally uploaded by creativik67.

The mundane meets the magical in Annick Goutal’s Eau d’Hadrien*. There is nothing particularly original about this fragrance, which pairs a few intensely astringent citrus notes with a woody base. In fact, the particular accord of grapefruit, lemon, ylang ylang, patchouli and cypress reminds me of a particular aromatherpeutic synergy which left so little impression on me that I completely failed to remember what it was or where I smelled it. Upon research, I discovered that this particular combo if essential oil would result in a synergy for menopausal varicose veins and cellulitis**…

The initial citrus overload can be likened to getting sprayed by grapefruit essential oils right from its pores when attempting to peel it – resulting in two things: grapefruit juice dripping down your wrists and arms, and teary eyes. It will leave those tangy, tingling residues on your tongue for hours to come, and your fingers will remain bitter for the day. The citrus monopoly gradually becomes tolerant to soft, woody, powdery-sweet floral note of ylang ylang (I believe it’s the third grade of the essential oil by the smell of it), and underpinnings of sappy-green, bitter and warm-woody notes of cypress and patchouli. Cypress and lemon are one guaranteed way to smell like cleaning agents. For some reason, in l’Eau d’Hadrien this does not bother me.

Yet, the non-ambitious banality of Eau d’Hadrien is precisely what accounts for its charm: it gives you the same satisfaction of thoroughly cleaned house, fresh acrylic paint fumes still emanating from the walls, the carpets are still moist and exhaling that intensely orange aroma, the beds are made with fresh white sheets, and all you need to do is light a little candle and put your cold (and damp) feet up and relax while your bath tub is getting filled up with a pine-scented bubble bath.

I’ve been ignoring Eau d’Hadrien for many years, solely because it is a citrus. I mostly smelled lemon and a few herbs on the few occasions when I tried it, but I never really worn it properly (i.e.: on my skin, for an entire day). But I did enjoy tremendously the Eau d’Hadrien shower gel and lotion, which I found to be quite different from what I remembered Eau d’Hadrien to be: Sappy, green, citrusy, fresh, woody, brisk, bitter, sour, astringent, herbal. It does not feel mudnane at all. In fact, it has that sappy, resinous leafy feel reminiscent of Grand Amour's mastic. I really love it.
I even lit the candle last night and today (you guessed it, my place and my studio are being painted... I can now enjoy the fruit of my - and other people's - labour). The candle has a gentle throw, which fills the whole house with a delightful green tea and citrus aroma. It is significantly sweeter than the Eau de Toilette, and has the balsamic leafy tonalities of the body products.

Top notes: Lemon, Grapefruit
Heart notes: Citron, Ylang Ylang
Base notes: Cypress, Patchouli

* This review is for the Eau de Toilette, by the way. I haven’t tried the Eau de Parfum yet, but I’ve heard it is softer and sweeter, with the ylang ylang more pronounced and the cypress mellower. The lasting of the Eau de Toilette is excellent – it lasted on my skin for a good 7 hours, and there were still traces of citrus in the dry down.

** With no disrespect to aromatherapy at all, so please don't get me wrong; I do, however, lack the knowledge of understanding how a synergy such as that would work, so my knowledge is based on the separate actions of each of those oils and what they have in common, not being able to predict beyond that...
Both cypress and grapefruit oils are good for treating cellulite and water retention; Lemon and cypress help reduce varicose veins; cypress and ylang ylan gare excellent in helping to cope with menopausal symptoms, as well as menstrual crapms and PMS symptoms; and both cypress and citrus oils in general are stringent and disinfectant, which might explain why they are used so often in household cleaning products.

*** This is the first in a series of citrus-based perfumes, before they disappear on us completely. Let's hope not!

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

At December 30, 2009 10:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a personal prefernece. I believe that a woman or a man should not smell of any artificial odor until they are close enough to exchange bodily fluids. Too many people douse themselves in continual coats of artificial stench. Their newfound aroma preceeds them into the room.

This is especially true at this time of year. We are currently post Christmas; the time when so many people are over-applying their gifts of new perfume and cologne. Yes, we are currently in "The Season of the Stink." Elevator rides have become insufferable. I hold my breath until I get to my floor to avoid the overdose of my fellow passangers newly aquired scents.

It is interesting to note that many doctors offices have begun posting signs requesting that their patients do no wear any perfume or cologne out of consideration for the other ill people. Good for them.

Now, about your review of Annick Goutal's Eau d'Hadrien. Here is the critical point that you fail to comprehend in your review. Indeed, this is why I like this scent.
Yes, as you point out, it goes on like gangbusters. Overwhelming. However, it fades very rapidly to a subtle aroma that can only be detected when one is in extremely close proximity to the wearer. In this respect, it is the perfect gift for that friend who likes quality scents, but has the horrible habit of using so much that their aroma preceeds them thereby violating your personal space. They make EdH for both men and women. I buy it as a gift for those friends who must use cologne, but don't understand the concept of moderation.

 
At February 28, 2010 10:52 PM, Blogger The Scent Woman said...

I just bought Eau d'Hadrien. Grapefruit and Ylang, what a wonderful combination in the environment, wondering how it will do on the skin. Love your blog!

Suzanne

 
At March 01, 2010 7:16 AM, Blogger Ayala Moriel said...

Suzanne,
Thank you for reading and commenting!
Eau d'Hardien is so refreshing and classy. You should try it on the skin, that how it's meant to be worn.

And I'm glad you like SmellyBlog :-)

 
At April 22, 2010 9:09 AM, Anonymous Soy Kim said...

I've been wearing this scent for a couple years and absolutely love it. But I adore citrus scents. Always wondered, though, how do you pronounce Eau d'Hadrien? I'm sure I've been pronouncing it incorrectly...

 
At April 22, 2010 9:28 AM, Blogger Ayala Moriel said...

Soy Kim,
Thank you for commenting!
Eau d'Hadrien is certainly one of the best citrus there are :-)
the "H" in French is silent.

 
At April 22, 2010 9:31 AM, Blogger Ayala Moriel said...

And so is the "n" in the end, you don't pronounce it.
It's hard to explain, especially since I'm not a French expert and I'm not too good at phonetic spelling for English speakers either...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home